Did I get Covid - 19?
Did I get Covid?
Covid being around every corner, there is always a possibility at some point or other we may get infected with the virus. Since the time it was found until now it has infected over 400 million global population, taken more than 5.8 million lives and still counting. People have adopted different approaches to Covid. Initially everyone with much fear, taboo, careful and later some being very casual and normal. However, with the ferocity of the effect many are still careful and sensitive. While some avoid as much as physical contact, travel, festivals and ceremonial get togethers some others are just the opposite. On this view both sides have difficulties in understanding in each other’s position. I am among the one who follow the first group’s ideology to restrict myself, being careful and protective of my family members from the beginning even now. In our family we all have been vaccinated with both the doses.
On January 10, 2022 I needed to travel to Cuttack taking my mother in-law for her eye surgery. She is an octogenarian. Cuttack is 175 kilometers from my home Balasore and takes about three and half hour’s drive. I asked one of our office staffs to accompany me. As I drove, he was sitting in the front seat next to me. In the previous night he had stomach upset and on the way I stopped a couple of times for him including getting him electrolytes and medicines. While returning he was coughing inside the vehicle and said he was feeling cold. Next day he went back to his village and reported that he wasn’t feeling well and is suffering from fever, stomach upset, cough and cold.
Health Issues:
In the third week of January, first I had stomach upset, fever, sever body ache. Later I had running nose and eventually cough and cold, throat pain and my voice was heavy. Initially I had only dry coughs. Later in the week my sense of smell and appetite was also lost. I felt fatigue in my body. By God’s grace I do not have issues related to Blood Pressure and Sugar. My cholesterol level is marginally high which so far has not been a matter to worry and I take tabs to keep the cholesterol in control.
Treatment:
I did not go for a RTPCR or Antigen test. Sensing the possibility of having Covid, the time I had the primary symptoms of stomach upset, fever and body ache, I first took paracetamol and within two days the fever was subsided. I took Clavam 625 (a composition of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) with two tabs per day after meal for 5 days. Clavam is normally not prescribed for viral infections like common cold. Rather is a type of penicillin work against the bacterial infection in throats, lungs, sinus etc. Although Covid infection is caused by virus and not by bacteria, but by now we all know that Covid – 19 (SARS-Cov-2) causes serious secondary infection to respiratory system, which is bacterial. Along with Clavam 625 I also took Ascoril LS cough syrup which has compositions of Levosalbutamol Sulphate, Ambroxol Hydrochloride and Guaiphenesin Expectorant. Besides the meds I did the followings;
1.
I isolated myself from rest of the family members and
other staffs working in the same building.
2.
My 16x16 office room has attach toilet and bath fitted
with geyser and enough space for bed. The office room is just below the
residence in the same building.
3.
I maintained distance while having meals or had my
meals in my office room.
4.
I regularly drank warm water, hot soups, orange juices
or oranges and electrolytes.
5.
I would do a self-check of my oxygen saturation (SpO2)
a couple times in day even though there were no breathing issues. The oxygen
saturation never came down below 93. The normal oxygen level earlier to the
sickness was always 98-99, but during this time it fluctuated between 93-97 on
a average of 95 most of the time. However, my pulse rate was higher with 110 to
118 per minute. The normal is 60 – 100 per minute. This could be an indication
of heart muscles are weakened by virus attack.
6.
With the prolonged dry cough more than a week, I had a
disturbed sleep in the night and normally the cough will increase in the
evenings. My wife suggested I should try inhaler for relief and I took Duolin
inhaler (puff) which has Levosalbutamol which really helped to clear the
throat.
7.
I took extra care not to expose myself to cold as
after the Covid normally the immunity is low.
8. I also took enough rest.
My present health condition:
I am doing well and rest of my family members are also fine. Coughing is almost stopped. But there are some amounts of sputum that I can feel and comes out occasionally. Taste and smell are improving, but has not become absolutely normal. I don’t feel fatigue like I used to feel. But the sickness has made the body little weak which is improving day by day. I could work more time now than when I had the sickness two weeks ago.
Many people share in social media for prayer and information. But I chose not to share this earlier as some of my extended family members may read and get panicked. In fact, while speaking my sister a week ago when I shared my experiences, she informed my dad and he was really worried about me. I told him I am fine and nothing to worry about.
Why I did not go for a Covid test?
Primarily in our childhood whenever we had some viral or bacterial attack (although we never knew what was virus and what was bacteria) my parents would wait for a couple of days to observe if fever has come down on its own. If not, then a doctor would be consulted and the doctors will ask for lab test if they are not confident. A common red syrup mix was for all kinds of treatment. I have no idea what was that. I still have the habit of waiting and observing if self-immunity withstands the virus/bacterial attack.
Secondly, after joining the work I often travelled to remote areas where I often used local drinking waters either from a well or from borewell. Never had any issues with drinking water.
Thirdly, a Covid Test makes it more public, panicked among the loved ones and if necessary, hospitalization. I don’t think I could treat myself better in a hospital, especially taking hot chicken soups, fruits and fruit juices regularly which not only cleared the throat but also increasing the stamina.
One thing is for
sure, nothing happens before the time of God. He is the same God who protects
us and also gives us the wisdom.
Rev. Samaresh
Nayak
Balasore, Orissa
Comments
Post a Comment